What’s New in Latest Gutenberg 7.0?
Last updated on July 9th, 2021
The latest version of the Gutenberg plugin which is Gutenberg 7.0 has been released on 27th November 2019. It came with a lot of exciting and new updates and enhancements. More than 51 contributors helped to make this version better. This is one of the biggest numbers of contributors who have come together to enhance the functionality of a plugin. Gutenberg 7.0 has a loading time of 5.1 seconds which is way faster than Gutenberg 6.9 with a loading time of 6.6 seconds.
This update has made the navigation block a stable feature now which was being considered as an experimental one in earlier versions. Everything that has been added to the recently released version is mentioned here.
Navigation Block Enhancements:
- Menu items that do not have a defined link will be highlighted.
- Error occurrence in Mozilla Firefox has been prevented when you remove the block.
- The ability to set the background color of the navigation menu has been removed and now the whole menu has been grouped.
- The background shadow for the submenus dropdown has been removed.
- The ‘Navigation Menu Item’ block has been renamed to ‘Link’.
- All unnecessary color attributes have been removed.
- Additional CSS classes are allowed.
- The ‘menu’ suffix has been removed from the block name.
- You can escape special chars when the title and label are propagated to the Rich Text component.
- Style variations have been added.
- Internationalization of strings containing safe HTML is allowed.
- A new card component has been added to WordPress/components.
- Label support for the URL Input component has been added.
- The is Match option for the shortcode transforms is supported now.
- Now the cover block uses gradient classes instead of inline styles.
- The keyboard shortcut styling can be added to “/” in the default tip.
- The caret position can be restored properly on undo.
- Keywords have been added to improve the discoverability of the Audio block.
- Video preview is being shown on Cover block inspector panel.
- Hidden nested images in the content column have been fixed.
- The double border issue in the keyboard shortcuts modal has been fixed.
- The off-centered publish button has been fixed.
- The error occurs when is RTL config is not provided in the block editor settings has been fixed.
- The full-width Table block mobile regression has been fixed.
- A screen reader text label for the Search block has been added.
- The text patterns undo after mouse move have been fixed.
- The block drag and drop for the contributor role has been fixed.
- The link when switching the image used in the Image block has been updated.
- The PHP Error triggered when gutenberg_register_packages_scriptsis run more than once has been fixed.
- Special characters escaping for the post title have been fixed.
- The Base Control component label when no id is passed has been fixed.
- The whitespace will be preserved when converting blocks Preformatted and Paragraph blocks.
- The multiple paste issues creating unnecessary empty spaces have been fixed.
With more than 2,00,000 active installations to date, Gutenberg 7.0 has opened to a welcoming response. Let us see what its working smoothness, ease of use and customer response is in the time to come. For more tech-related NEWS & Updates, stay tuned to this space!